The Practice of Youth Ministry – Renewing the Vision builds on Fowler’s Six Stages of Faith; the teachings of The General Directory for Catechesis, and the Magisterium of the Church; and documents from the Second Vatican Council and the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and provides religious educators, teachers, catechists, and youth ministers with a framework for Catholic Youth Ministry. Here, a new direction in the Church’s ministry with adolescents is presented and a call to personal discipleship, evangelization, and leadership is addressed.
GENERAL COURSE OBJECTIVES:
- Articulate the Philosophy, Goals, Principles, and Components of Youth Ministry.
- Respond to the Church’s needs of Young People.
- Share unique gifts of youth with the Larger Community.
- Study the Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry.
- Address the Call to Personal Discipleship, Evangelization and Leadership.
- Respond to the new Challenges of and Opportunities for our Younger and Older Adolescents.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND HIGHLIGHTS:
Week 1: The Growth and Development of the Church’s Ministry with Adolescents
- Identify and understand the various influences on the Church’s Ministry with Adolescents.
Week 2: Goals for Ministry with Adolescents
- Empower Young People to live as Disciples of Jesus Christ.
- Draw Young People to responsible participation in the Life, Mission, and Work of the Church.
- Foster the total Personal and Spiritual Growth of each Young Person.
Week 3: Themes and Components for a Comprehensive Ministry with Adolescents
- Understand Comprehensive Ministry.
- Explore the Themes and Components of a Comprehensive Vision.
Week 4: Themes and Components for a Comprehensive Ministry with Adolescents
- Understand the Ministries of Advocacy and Catechesis.
- Explore the Ministries of Community Life, Evangelization and Justice and Service.
Week 5: Themes and Components for a Comprehensive Ministry with Adolescents
- Understand the Ministries of Leadership Development, Pastoral Care and Prayer and Worship.
- Explore a Guiding Image for Ministry with Adolescents.
Renewing the Vision – A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry.
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 1997.
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
General Directory for Catechesis.
The Holy Bible.
The Practice of Youth Ministry – Renewing the Vision consists of ten lessons and ten assignments, with each assignment weighted at 10% (percent) of the total grade.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS:
- You must have Internet access. A high speed connection, either ADSL or cable, is recommended.
- You should know how to use a web browser to navigate the web to locate educational resources and download files.
- You will need the files management skills necessary to create directories, to save files and to retrieve files.