On January 29th, 2013, Dr. Jason West was officially installed as President of Newman Theological College by NTC Chancellor, Kevin Feehan, Q.C., in the St. Joseph Seminary Chapel.
Celebrating the Installation mass was Most Reverend Richard Smith, Chair of the Board of Governors and Archbishop of Edmonton.
Special Guests included Most Reverend Gregory Bittman, Auxilary Bishop of Edmonton, Most Reverend Paul Terrio, Bishop of St. Paul and former President of Newman Theolgical College, and Most Reverend David Motiuk, Bishop of the Ukrainian Eparchy of Edmonton. During the ceremony Most Reverend Motiuk also blessed an icon he donated to the Newman chapel.
Presidents and representatives of the following universities and colleges also made a special trip to be in attendance at the installation. These included the following:
- Dr. Gerald Krispin, President and Dr. Jonathan Strand, Acting Academic Vice President of Concordia University College of Alberta (1921), Edmonton, AB
- Rev. Dr. Mark A. Hagemoen, President and Principal of Corpus Christi College (1999) / St. Mark’s College (1958), Vancouver, BC
- Dr. Harry Fernhout, President of King’s University College(1979), Edmonton, AB
- Rev. Dr. Terence Kersch, President of St. Joseph’s College (1926), University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB and representative of the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities of Canada (ACCUC)
- Mona Lee Feehan, Chair, Master of Thelogical Studies Program & Professor of Contextual Theology of St. Stephen’s College (1908), University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- Dr. Terrence Downey, President of St. Thomas More College (1936), Saskatoon, SK
Dr. Jason West has served Newman Theological College as a professor of philosophy since 2004 and was named Academic Dean in 2011. He has worked on a number of college committees and has co-ordinated the Anthony Jordan Lecture Series. He has taught at Concordia College, St. Joseph’s College (University of Alberta), and St. Jerome’s University at the University of Waterloo. He has held executive roles with the Canadian Society of Christian Philosophers and the Western Catholic Reporter Board of Directors. Dr. West has published several articles on St. Thomas Aquinas, metaphysics and political philosophy. He is writing a book on 20th-century philosopher Jacques Maritain. Dr. West lives in Edmonton with his wife Christine and their six children.
Installation Homily - Most Rev. Richard Smith