We are pleased you are considering applying to Newman Theological College (NTC). As an international student, there are benefits to attending NTC. At this time, we don't "upcharge" course fees for international students. As well, once accepted into a program, all students are eligible to apply on any bursary for financial assistance where the student meets the qualification criteria.
Once accepted for studies at NTC, there is some work you'll have to do before coming to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Study in Canada
Study in Alberta
English Language Proficiency
Study permit applicants will need to record the NTC DLI number on their study permit applications after June 1, 2014. The DLI number for NTC is: O19391057177. International students will need to show proof of a valid study permit upon arrival at NTC.
The following programs ONLY are eligible to receive international students on study permit: B.Th., M.T.S., M.Div., M.Th., M.R.E.
At present we are not able to offer Distance Education courses to residents of the U.S.A., but we welcome inquiries from anyone so interested.
English Language Proficiency
English is the official language of instruction at NTC. Consequently, any student who lacks proficiency in the English language will have difficulty studying at NTC. In the interest of ensuring that all students of NTC have sufficient English language skills to cope with the rigors of the academic curriculum, NTC has adopted the following English Language Proficiency policy:
1. All applicants are required to demonstrate proficiency in both spoken and written English before their acceptance to NTC.
Written proficiency may be shown by completing one of the following:
- Alberta English 30 or equivalent (minimum grade: 60%)
- A paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam (min. score: 560)
- A paper-based TOEFL exam (min. score: 550) plus the Test of Written English (TWE) exam (min. score: 50)
- A computer-based TOEFL exam (minimum score: 220)
- Internet based TOEFL iBT testing: overall score of 86 points, with a minimum score of 21 points in each of the four testing areas—reading, listening, speaking, and writing.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System); a score of at least 6.5 with no band less than 5.0.
- ESL 140/145: Successful completion of the University of Alberta’s ESL 140/145.
- Additional ways to meet the requirement.
2. All students are expected to maintain an acceptable standard of English language proficiency in all their coursework at Newman Theological College. A student who consistently demonstrates deficient skills in English may be advised to discontinue their studies until they receive remedial help in the language. Such a student may resume studies at NTC upon receipt of official documentation attesting to improvement (i.e. official transcripts, acceptable TOEFL scores etc.).
Please note that NTC reserves the right to use discretion in determining English language proficiency.