A Planned Gift is one that allows you to arrange now for a donation that in most cases will be received by the Foundation of St. Joseph Seminary and Newman Theological College (the “Foundation”), the St. Joseph Priests' Foundation of Edmonton and/or the Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton upon death.
Planned Gifts are in effect legacy gifts. They make a clear statement about the importance of faith in the life of the benefactor, while at the same time providing vital support for priestly formation and theological education, our retired and disabled priests, or other inititiatives of the Archdiocese.
Many planned gifts are arranged through estate plans. It is not only the rich who have an estate. An estate is defined as “the assets and liabilities left by a person at death”. So we are all estate owners!
The most common ways to make planned gifts are:
- Through gifts in your will
- By designating the Foundation or the Archdiocese of Edmonton as owner and/or beneficiary of a life insurance policy
- Through a trust whereby assets pass to the Foundation or the Archdiocese of Edmonton after your death (called a Charitable Remainder Trust
- Donations of publicly traded securities, real estate and other assets
- Through named endowment funds.
Bequests can be unrestricted or designated for a specific purpose. By making it known to us that you have included the Foundation or the Archdiocese of Edmonton in your will/estate plan, you become eligible for membership in the Archbishop Joseph MacNeil Society, an honorary recognition program.
Legacies of Faith newsletters
Issue 2, Summer/Fall 2012
Issue 1, Winter 2012
For more information about planned gifts, please contact:
Planned Giving Coordinator: Carla Smiley
Phone: 780-469-1010 ext. 2231
Or email using the Contact Us button above