Winter 2015 - seminar schedule
The following seminars will run this coming Winter term
To register please contact Newman Theological College at 780 392 2450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
At Newman Theological College Campus (from January 12 to April 10).
At Holy Family Parish, Poirier Avenue, St Albert
(From January 5 to March 30, 2015)
- Mondays (6.00 - 6.55 pm & 7.00 - 7.50 pm): Sacred Scriptures
- Topic: The Acts of the Apostles
- Hosted by: Dr. Stéphane Saulnier
Optional: CCS-029H The Acts of the Apostles Hybrid Course
The Certificate in Catholic Studies and the Treasures of the Faith seminar series unite this January to offer participants the opportunity of a unique learning experience: individual online learning sessions as well as small group in-person reading of the Book of the Acts of the Apostles, with discussions facilitated by Dr. Stéphane Saulnier, Associate Professor of Sacred Scripture at Newman Theological College.
Beginning Monday, January 5th, 2015 to March 30th, participants will gather at Holy Family Parish in St. Albert every Monday night at EITHER 6:00 - 6:55 P.M. OR 7:00 - 7:55 P.M. to learn about the Acts of the Apostles.
These one hour class discussions over the 13 week period will be supplemented with individual online learning, provided through our Certificate in Catholic Studies Program.
Enjoy the opportunity to explore the Book of Acts in greater details, dialogue with others about Sacred Scripture while also earning ONE course credit towards a CCS Certificate in Scripture
This hybrid course does require online registration. To register online please visit the CCS Registration Page.
Fall 2014 - seminar schedule
The following seminars will run this Fall term.
At Newman Theological College Campus (from September 15 to December 05):
- Mondays (12.10 - 1.00 pm): Church Fathers:
- Topic: St John Chrysostom - selected Homilies on the Gospel of John
- Hosted by Fr. Ayodele Ayeni
- Wednesdays (12.10 - 1.00 pm): Sacred Scriptures
- Topic: the book of the prophet Jeremiah
- Hosted by Stéphane Saulnier
- Thursdays (12.10 - 1.00 pm): New Evangelisation / Magisterium
- Topic: St John Paul II - 'Apostolic Exhortation on the Family - Familiaris Consortio'
- Hosted by Fr Stefano Penna
- Fridays (12.10 - 1.00 pm): Catholic Saints and Mystics
- Topic: St Catherine of Sienna - The Dialogues
- Hosted by Fr Stephen Hero
At Holy Family Parish, Poirier Avenue, St Albert (From September 15 to December 15)
- Mondays (7.00 - 7.50 pm): Sacred Scriptures
- Topic: The Gospel according to St Matthew
- Hosted by Stéphane Saulnier
- Mondays (8.10 - 9.00 pm): Ecritures Saintes [this seminar is run in French]
- L'évangile selon St Matthieu
- Stéphane Saulnier
At St Andrew's parish, 12810 111 Av., Edmonton (from September 17 to December 03):
- Wednesdays (7.00 - 8.00 pm): Church Fathers / Sacred Scriptures
- Topic: The Poor and Charity in the Gospel of Luke: the Commentaries of St John Chrysostom
- Hosted by: Fr Ayodele Ayeni
The Treasures of the Faith seminar series, introduced in 2011 by the Scripture, History and Foundation Department at Newman Theological College, and since January 2014 offered by the Benedict XVI Institute for New Evangelization, is designed to explore the treasures of the Catholic faith through reading foundational texts that have shaped Catholic Tradition. Each individual series lasts a semester and focuses either on a particular period of Church history, a particular theological theme, or a particular Church Father, Doctor of the Church, or Catholic Mystic. Texts are selected from Sacred Scriptures, the writings of the Church Fathers and Doctors of the Church, as well as from the contributions of the Church's Magisterium.
These seminars are not for credit and are open to all. No homework! No prior knowledge necessary! Attendance is free! All that is required is the availability and desire to set aside time to immerse oneself in the treasures of the faith for the purpose of nourishing our faith. Some seminars have a limited number of open spots - please register by email at email@example.com or by phone at 780.392.2450.
Seminars start at 12.10 PM until 1.00 PM. Mass is celebrated at the College during the Fall and Winter terms on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 11.30 am. You are more than welcome to join us in the Blessed John Henry Newman Chapel. There is no mass at the College during Intersession (May-June) and Summer (July August) terms.
I hope you can join us! Please contact me with any question you may have.