Steps to Graduate
Ceremony Location & Schedule
Steps to Graduate
Apply for graduation even if you don't plan to attend the Convocation ceremony. You won't receive your parchment unless you complete the application to graduate.
Before you graduate:
- Complete and return an Application to Graduate Form by no later than March 1st before the October convocation ceremony.
- Pay your outstanding fees. All fees are due at time of form submission and all account balances for tuition, bookstore and library must be cleared.
- Complete the Graduating Student Questionnaire sent from the Office of the Registrar by email upon receipt of your Application to Graduate Form.
- Update your address on the online Student Services login. If you are graduating in October 2013, and will not be attending Convocation, your parchment will be mailed to your home address after October 19th. Please ensure your current address is on file with the College. To check and/or update your address, log in to Student Services online under Current Students on our website. Go to "Change my address information" and update. Then click on “send information” at the bottom of the page.
On the day:
- Limited parking is available on the college grounds. Designated parking for people with a disability is available beside the St Joseph Seminary entrance. Overflow parking will be at St. Kevin’s school opposite from the College. Please be considerate of residents in the area. Arrive at the college in good time before the morning liturgy and afternoon ceremony so that you have time to find parking.
- Graduands and guests enter St. Joseph Seminary through the front doors on 84 Street and 100 Avenue.
- Volunteers for the morning liturgy are asked to arrive at the chapel by 9:00 am if they are in the choir and by 9:30 am if they are assisting in other ministries for the Mass.
- A convocation exercises rehearsal for all graduands will take place immediately following the morning liturgy in the SJS chapel. This will be finished by 12:00 p.m. so that you have time to have lunch with your guests and return for the afternoon ceremony.
- Lunch is not provided on the day. There are various restaurants in the local vicinity.
- Arrive at the seminary again at least an hour before the ceremony to ensure you have time to park and get a gown. Robing begins at 1:15 p.m.
- Go to the Student Robing Room to get your name card (please check it for accuracy as this is how you will be announced when you cross the stage) and robe.
- Get a vee-stole or hood to put over your gown and get a mortarboard. Assistants will be there to assist you with robing. (You must return your gown and vee-stole or hood to the Student Robing Room after the ceremony. The photography studio is down the hallway past the chapel. If you do not return your gown and vee-stole or hood after the ceremony, you will be charged a $75 replacement fee.)
- Go to your program's marshaling location in the hallway outside the Student Robing Room.
Important note about personal items
- There is no secure storage available for personal items. Please leave such personal items as backpacks, cell phones, purses, coats, etc. at home or with one of your guests at the ceremony.
- Ushers will assist guests into chapel seating. Seat saving is not permitted.
- 15 minutes before the ceremony, graduands should find the marshaling area and line up in order as practiced in the morning rehearsal. Graduands will line up in alphabetic order by program and proceed into the chapel, and be seated with their class in the front rows. So that your ceremony starts on time, please go to your marshaling location as soon as possible. There will be plenty of time to visit with your guests and take photographs after the ceremony concludes.
- Out of courtesy for all graduates, please ensure you and your guests remain in the chapel for the entire ceremony.
- Individual photographs will be taken after all formal photographs by degree program have been conducted immediately following the ceremony.
- Please join your guests in the dining hall for light refreshments once you have returned your robe to the Student Robing Room.
Ceremony Location & Schedule
Fall 2013 Convocation will be held at the St. Joseph Seminary Chapel with a morning liturgy followed after lunch by the afternoon convocation exercises.
Saturday October 19 - 10:30 am
Saturday October 19 - 11:30 am-12:00 pm
Saturday October 19 - 1:15 pm
Saturday October 19 - 2:15 pm
Photographs and light Refreshments to follow.
On the day of your ceremony, NTC has arranged for an unprofessional photographer to take a photo of each graduand while being presented with their parchment. These wil be posted on our website and electronic copies can be requested free of charge. Following the ceremony we have arranged for a professional photographer from Ikon Photography to take class and family pictures in the Photography Room on the main level after the ceremony. Information will be included in your invitation package.
Class Pin and Graduation Rings
All graduates are presented with a NTC pin at the morning liturgy as a free gift from the NTC Student Association.
Graduation rings from Jostens will also be available for purchase in the main foyer of the St. Joseph’s Seminary on the day of your ceremony.