Newman Theological College
History

1917

  • First theological faculty is set up at the Oblate Immaculate Conception Scholasticate in St. Joachim’s Parish, Edmonton. Diocesan seminarians attend the scholasticate as well.

1927

  • Oblate Fathers move to Saskatchewan; Archdiocese of Edmonton takes over the building and calls it St. Joseph Seminary (SJS); this becomes the formation center for the diocesan seminarians.

1957

  • SJS moves to St. Albert where a new building is erected on vacant farmland owned by the Archdiocese.

1961

  • Approximately 100 students are studying for the priesthood at SJS.

1962

  • Vatican Council II begins.

1965

  • On his return from the Council Rome, Archbishop Anthony Jordan looks for ways of addressing the role of the laity in the Church. Men and women, both religious and lay, interested in theology are invited to share the facilities available in St. Albert.

1969

  • The theology faculty of SJS becomes Newman Theological College (NTC) by an Act of the Alberta Legislature. NTC is opened up to a larger number of lay people and religious. SJS remains on the NTC campus as a residence and house of formation for diocesan candidates to the priesthood. Seminarians now constitute one sector of the overall student body.

1970

  • Academic programs gradually develop. In 1972, associate status is granted to the NTC by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) in the United States & Canada.

1980

  • The trend continues for lay and religious to study theology. Enrollment is on the rise.

1988

  • The ATS grants the status of candidacy to the NTC.

1988-1991

  • Self-study for accreditation pursued.

1991

  • ATS visitation and granting of accreditation. Self-study was submitted by NTC and accepted by the ATS. An accreditation team visited NTC and made its recommendation regarding full membership to the Association.
  • The Summer School in Liturgical Studies was established.

1992

  • NTC is granted full accreditation for the Master of Divinity and Master of Theology by the ATS.

1993

  • NTC continued as a corporate body by an Act of Continuance of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta.
  • The Master of Religious Education Program was accredited by the ATS.
  • The Foundation of Newman Theological College and St. Joseph Seminary was established.

1994

  • NTC celebrated its 25th anniversary. It was affirmed in its identity and mission by an Apostolic Visitation to SJS.

1996

  • Self-study was submitted by NTC and accepted by the ATS. An accreditation team visited NTC and made its recommendation regarding renewal of membership to the Association.
 

1997

  • NTC is granted full accreditation for a ten-year period by the ATS.

1998

  • A new seminary residence and library facility are constructed on the campus.

1999

  • NTC/SJS celebrated the official opening of the new Sopchyshyn Family Library and Seminary Residence.

2001

  • NTC celebrates the 200th anniversary of the birth of the Venerable John Henry Cardinal Newman with special presentations about NTC's namesake.

2002

  • SJS celebrates its 75th anniversary with a three-day celebration, highlighted by an Apostolic Visitation from Rome.

2004

  • The NTC Academic Senate establishes the annual Kevin Carr Christian Leadership Award. The annual award recognizes and honours an individual whose outstanding Christian leadership in Western and Northern Canada reflects the values of NTC and the qualities that Kevin Carr cherished and exhibited in his work as NTC's seventh president (1993-2001).

Accreditation

  • NTC is considered a non-affiliated private college within the post-secondary educational system of Alberta. It has been empowered to confer academic degrees, diplomas and certificates in the field of religious sciences. The charter was granted on April 29, 1969, during the second session of the 16th Legislature (Private Bill #4).

    In 1972, NTC became an associate member of the ATS in the United States and Canada. In 1988, NTC was granted the status of candidacy in view of a self-study and ATS visitation. Initial accreditation as a member of ATS was granted in January 1992. Accreditation was extended in 1996 and again in 2007 with approval of the following degrees:
  • Master of Divinity
  • Master of Religious Education
  • Master of Theological Studies and Master of Theology

2007

  • The Province of Alberta purchases the land of NTC/SJS in order to facilitate the completion of the Anthony Henday Ring Road. NTC/SJS must vacate the land by the end of June 2009.
  • The Most Rev. Richard Smith, Archbishop of Edmonton announces the NTC/SJS will relocate to the Edmonton Archdiocese property.

2009

  • NTC and SJS move to temporary locations in Sherwood Park and Ottewell. The Cornerstone of Faith campaign starts raising the funds for new construction. The new campus of NTC will feature state-of-the-art teaching, learning and research technology thanks to a $4.18-million grant is awarded from the federal government’s Knowledge Infrastructure Program. The grant represents the first government support the College has received in its 40-year history and will help finance technology infrastructure for the Sopchyshyn Family Library and Learning Commons, classrooms and research support areas.

2010

  • Archbishop Richard Smith blesses the new buildings of NTC and SJS on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in the heart of Edmonton.

2011

  • Classes officially begin at the present site for the first time.

2014

  • Benedict XVI Institute for New Evangelization is founded to serve the New Evangelization by developing and offering innovative programs in faith formation and catechesis.

 


  Print
canada goose down outlet hermes birkin replica canada goose outlet Canada Goose Outlet Cheap Canada Goose Replica canada goose sale outlet Canada Goose Jacket outlet Canada Goose Parkas Canada Goose jackets outlet birkin bags replica canada goose outlet Canada Goose Parka Discount